CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF
Volume 1 / ISSUE #7
2018 was a another good year
- Take a read and see what happened
- Take time to thank our members and yourself
Let’s take this time of the year to thank a Veteran.
December 8, 2018
We had a good year. Your Branch was noticed in the public eye in Kindersley and area many times the year.
What have we done so far this year:
- Branch 57 hosted Sask. Liquor and gaming info night
- Branch 57 President and Sgt of arms attended Eston Branch at one of their meetings
- Patrick, David, Ernie and Garret attended the Zone Rally meeting is Outlook. Our resolution was voted down.
- Branch received a $750.00 town grant again this year. The money was used to update the electrical room and men’s washroom upstairs. We know there is always working to be done around the building just like a house.
- Just waiting on word from Provincial Command on approval for our 3 new life members by the end of the year. (Still waiting)
- The Branch held our yearly Awards night it was a great evening. Congratulations to all the members getting there years of service awards and service medals. We also inducted 4 new members into our Honor Gallery.
- The Executive held 7 meetings in 2018.
- Members attend the Cadets annual ceremonial review and change of command.
- For the community and the oilfield and pipeline workers the Branch held 5 meals starting in September to Dec 13 2018. These were attended. We want to thank Garret and Melissa Trayhorne on organizing these meals. Thank-you to all that helped.
- Members packed the gravel and sand in the back yard of the Legion.
- Branch donated $3,000.00 to the new pool.
- Our Branch supported the music festival again this year.
- Branch donated $500.00 to the Sparky Ament Cadets. They helped out numerous times.
- The Grey cup pool was again a success. It was a sell-out except for one book. committee has decided to try this one more time in 2019. It is one of our best fund-raising projects.
- We have another fund raiser ongoing. Thank-you Rocky Mountain Equipment for there donation of a Trager Tailgater BBQ Smoker Package. Draw date December 31st
- In 2018 Carol and David had the honor to chaperon 25 Sask. Athletes to the National Track and field meet in Brandon Mb. In July.
- Branch was awarded a Grant of $2,500.00 from Monsanto. Money to be used in the community.
- Scott Holloway and helpers held the second annual EMS BBQ. This was very well attended.
- The Legion lead the Goose Festival Parade in September 2018.
- Branch participated in an honor guard N0v. 10th, for the Ironhorse Klippers hockey game.
LET IT FLOW
Carol Burke is your membership chairman she has the new system that Dominion Command is using. Membership fees are $50.00. There are only a few members that need to pay their dues. Carol has done a great job on membership.
This new system has been great to keep everything updated and more accurate.
Branch has 8 new members
The Branch had a tough year losing 6 of our members. WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
Our membership is roughly at 88 members which is holding even after losing 6 members. We welcome all new members to our Branch.
2018 Remembrance Day and week:
We started the week off as usual by setting out poppy trays and selling wreaths and canvasing the great area of Kindersley for helping to support our veterans. Thank you all for supported our Branch. We started right on the right date this year.
What a great support from all the schools, they all needed to be thanked for their Remembrance Day Services. A Great Huge thank you to all the teachers and students.
I will remember the lighting of the head stones of our 208 plus veterans in our cemetery. We could not have done this without Brett Diemert organizing, Ken Diemert helping to put the batteries in the lights. Elizabeth School Grade 6 class thank-you for your help. Now for the video that was taken to show support for the members. We have posted it on our WEB PAGE and on YouTube under Kindersley Legion Remembrance Day Ceremony 2018 have a look.
The Remembrance Day service held at the United Church. The day was a little cold but well attended. We had a full church again. Thank you to the Members that paraded to the church along with the RCMP, Fire Dept., EMS, to name a few a huge thank you Ellen Krepps and her volunteers for doing another great job by providing sandwiches and dainties for all.
What got planned so far for 2018 and 2019
- End of February and March we will be doing our cordless drill raffle. We well not be doing the Ham plate raffle in 2019. In 2018 as you can see on the first page we held suppers hoping this would help our Branch funds. Which it did. We hope to keep this going in 2019 as a fund raiser.
- SEPTEMBER 1 2018 Allan Drozd planned for our second toy run.
- The toy run was another huge success even though the weather did not help us but a huge thank you to Al Drozd for looking after this. Looking ahead to the 2019 toy run.
- December 13,2018 was our annual Christmas Banquet
- As the Sergeant of arms I would like to challenge all the members and anyone out there ideas of what this Branch can do better. What would you like to see in 2019.
- Our goal in 2018 was keeping our membership strong, getting new members, asking members that have left why they left and how we can get them back.
- Do we have some huge challenges? Yes, but we can get through it.
- How do we improve our Face Book Page do we continue it, if so we need someone to handle the updates. We will be doing a complete make over of our facebook page in 2019 anyone have any new ideas on how to improve it.
- As for our monthly meetings and the lack of attendance do we change the night, we have changed the time is it working for everyone . This is still a concern how do we improve this?
- What must our Branch do to be more out front in our community.
Plans for 2019
- New Face Book Page
- April will be our awards night on April 13 2019
- September 1 2019 should be our toy run
- Remembrace day will be a on Monday November 11 2019
- Our new excutive will be updated on our Feburay meeting. Anyone wishing to hold a postion please call Patrick Brick.
- We are looking at redoing the fence and gate of the Field of Honor this winter or spring.
- We are also looking into repainting some of the Wold War 1 Crosses.
- We are hoping to hold our third annual EMS BBQ
- We hope that we will be able to lead the Goose Festival Parade again in 2019.
We as the excutive feel we had a very successful yar in 2018 we are hoping to have the same success in 2019
In 2019 Dommion Command once again will be hosting the bi-annual Pilaramge.
DID YOU KNOW THIS ABOUT THE LEGION
- YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A DESCENDANT OF A VETERAN TO BELONG
- IF YOU ARE A CANADIAN AND OVER 19, YOU CAN JOIN THIS GREAT ORGANIZATION
- WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN: TO SUPPORT THE VETERANS,THE RCMP AND THEIR FAMILY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR COMMUNITY.
- IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING BRANCH 57 PLEASE CONTACT MYSELF OR ANY KINDERSLEY LEGION MEMBER.
CAN ANYONE SUBSCRIBE TO THE LEGION MAGAZINE?
YES YOU CAN. ASK MYSELF AND OR CAROLINE
THE KINDERSLEY LEGION IS ON FACEBOOK
KINDERSLEY LEGION HAS IT’S OWN WEB PAGE
KINDERSLEY LEGION HAS ITS OWN EMAIL
Dommion Command web site is legion.ca
DAVID BURKE 306-460-8389